Spode pottery, porcelain, and bone china were made by the Stoke-on-Trent factory of England founded by Josiah Spode about 1770. The firm became Copeland and Garrett from 1833 to 1847, then W.T. Copeland or W.T. Copeland and Sons until 1976. It then became Royal Worcester Spode Ltd. The company was bought by the Portmeirion Group in 2009. The word Spode appears on many pieces made by the factories. Pattern numbers also appear on Spode pieces, with lower numbers used on earlier pieces and numbers 5,000 or higher used from 1833. Most collectors include all the wares under the more familiar name of Spode. Porcelains are listed by the name that appears on the piece. Related pieces may be listed under Copeland, Copeland Spode, and Royal Worcester.