Bing & Grondahl is a famous Danish factory making fine porcelains from 1853 to the present. Bing & Grondahl was started by a former employee of the Royal Copnehagen Manufactory, Frederick Grondahl, and department store owners M. H. and J. H. Bing. Underglaze blue decoration was started in 1886. The annual Christmas plate series was introduced in 1895. Dinnerwares, stoneware, and figurines are still being made today. The firm has used the initials B & G and a stylized castle as part of the mark since 1898. In 1987 it merged with its main competitor under the name Royal Copenhagen.