In 1910, Sonora Smart Dodd, the daughter of American Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart, wanted to honor her father in the same way mothers were honored on Mother’s Day. The idea caught on and in 1972 Congress made the third Sunday of June the official holiday. Here are the interesting vintage and collectible presents we think will make fathers smile this year:
1. Sports collectibles. Sports cards and sports memorabilia are always popular, especially now that they can be displayed in home offices! Cards, bobbleheads, autographs … he will probably love them all.
2. Vintage cigar boxes and labels. Cigar bands and wooden cigar boxes with paper labels were made starting in the early 19th century. The best wooden cigar boxes were made of cedar. The brand name was die-stamped onto the wooden top and paper labels were used on the sides and inside the lid. The boxes and labels were collected even in Victorian times.
3. Vintage albums. Whether for the music or for the cover art, vintage albums are a perfect present for a music-loving father.
4. Military memorabilia. Look for something different, if your Father’s Day recipient loves militaria. The American Zippo Manufacturing Co. was founded in the 1930s, but when World War II started, the company ceased all production for consumer markets altogether and instead manufactured lighters exclusively for troops being sent to war.
5. Vintage clothing. The styles of the 1950s to the 1970s are popular again. Instead of just getting a new shirt or jacket, find something vintage and unique!