Create Account

Enlarge Text

If you are a collector renting an apartment or house, be sure to get renter's insurance to cover the content and your collections. The landlord's insurance covers the building, but not your losses in a burglary or fire, your living expenses if you have to move out, or liability claims—and not your furniture, appliances, or collections. It is an inexpensive policy. A friend of our son, fresh out of college, decided to make shish-ka-bob on a small iron grill. He left the room while the charcoal grill became so hot it burned through the wooden table it was sitting on, then spread through the entire apartment, causing smoke damage in other apartments. Fortunately, his wise parents had given him a gift of insurance when he moved into the apartment.


Login to leave a comment.

Join The Discussion is pleased to share your comments. Your postings may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in our print publications. We encourage a variety of opinions, but ask that you refrain from profanity and hate speech. To post comments, you must be a registered user of Please remember that your username will appear with any comments you post.

Get The Latest Collecting News Every Week for FREE!

Enter your email below to receive Kovels Komments for the latest antiques & collectibles news, answers to readers questions, marks and tips. In your inbox every Wednesday.

You can unsubscribe at any time. Please refer to our Privacy Policy or Contact us for more information.
Kovels Premium