If you are a collector renting an apartment or house, be sure to get renter's insurance to cover the content and your collections. The landlord's insurance covers the building, but not your losses in a burglary or fire, your living expenses if you have to move out, or liability claims—and not your furniture, appliances, or collections. It is an inexpensive policy. A friend of our son, fresh out of college, decided to make shish-ka-bob on a small iron grill. He left the room while the charcoal grill became so hot it burned through the wooden table it was sitting on, then spread through the entire apartment, causing smoke damage in other apartments. Fortunately, his wise parents had given him a gift of insurance when he moved into the apartment.