Glassmaking was a family trade for the Duncans. George Duncan bought the Ripley Glass Company in Pittsburgh in 1865. He renamed it George Duncan and Sons after he deeded equal shares to his sons and his son-in-law, Augustus H. Heisey. The Duncan company joined the U. S. Glass Company in 1891. Augustus Heisey left in 1893 to establish his own businesses, including the A. H. Heisey Company. In 1894 after a fire, James Duncan relocated the company to nearby Washington, Pennsylvania, and called it George A. Duncan Sons and Company. Manager Ernest Miller joined Duncan as part owner, and the factory incorporated as Duncan and Miller Glass Company in 1900.

Duncan and Miller Glass (1900–1955)

Featured Articles