Pillin pottery was made by Polia (1909–1992) and William (1910–1985) Pillin, who set up a pottery in Los Angeles in 1948. William shaped, glazed, and fired the clay, and Polia painted the pieces, often with elongated figures of women, children, flowers, birds, fish, and other animals. William experimented with glazes and produced some bowls and vases without decorations. The company closed in 2014. Pieces are marked with a stylized Pillin signature.