Pewabic Pottery was founded by Mary Chase Perry Stratton in 1903 in Detroit, Michigan. The company made many types of art pottery, including pieces with matte green glaze and an iridescent crystalline glaze. By 1911, Pewabic Pottery was using its famous Persian or Egyptian blue glaze. The company continued working until the death of Mary Stratton in 1961. It was reactivated by Michigan State University in 1968.