North Dakota School of Mines was established in 1892 at the University of North Dakota. A ceramic course was included and pieces were made from the clays found in the region. Students at the university made pieces from 1909 to 1949. Although very early pieces were marked U.N.D., most pieces were stamped with the full name of the university. Pieces coming from the School of Mines were often glazed with muted colors and were usually heavy and had thick walls.