Newcomb Pottery was founded by Ellsworth and William Woodward at Sophie Newcomb College, New Orleans, Louisiana, in 1895. The work continued through the 1940s. Most pieces between 1900 and 1910 were blue-green wares with incised decorations emphasized with black. After 1910, relief designs and matte glaze were used. Pieces of this art pottery are marked with the printed letters NC and often have the incised initials of the artist as well.