Clifton Pottery was founded by William Long in Newark, New Jersey, in 1905. He worked there until 1909 making lines including Crystal Patina and Clifton Indian Ware. Clifton Pottery made art pottery until 1911 and then concentrated on wall and floor tile. By 1914 the name had been changed to Clifton Porcelain and Tile Company. Crystal Patina had a crystalline glaze. Indian Ware had a glossy black interior and an unglazed exterior. Another firm, Chesapeake Pottery, sold majolica marked Clifton Ware.