Maize glass was made by W.L. Libbey & Son Company of Toledo, Ohio, after 1889. It was one of many glasswares designed by Joseph Locke of England who started working for Libbey in 1882. The glass resembled an ear of corn. The leaves were usually green, but some pieces were made with blue or red leaves. The kernels of corn were light yellow, white, or light green.