Bradley & Hubbard is a name found on many metal objects. Walter Hubbard and his brother-in-law, Nathaniel Lyman Bradley, started making cast iron clocks, tables, frames, andirons, lamps, chandeliers, sconces, and sewing birds in 1854 in Meriden, Connecticut. Before it found large success with kerosene-burning lamps with glass shades in the 1870s, Bradley & Hubbard mainly produced clocks, along with call bells and sewing machines. The company became Bradley & Hubbard Manufacturing Company in 1875. Charles Parker Company bought the firm in 1940.