Do these things immediately:
- Give the post office a forwarding address.
- Contact your mortgage company and bank (most of them are out of state and won't know which of their clients' houses are damaged).
- Keep receipts of any expenses (hotel, clothes, food, sundries, transportation).
- Brainstorm and write a household inventory loss list with everyone in your family.
- Most importantly: Get permission before you re-enter your house or visit the property from safety forces and the insurance adjuster. Take photographs. Don't sign anything quickly.
From Kovel's Dealing with Disaster special report.