We've divided the FAQ into sections for your convenience. If your question isn't answered in this guide, be sure to take a look at our other help guides for individual parts of the site, or contact us here for more help.
Click on a section:
Navigation/Site Use Questions
- How can I change my username?
Login. Look for the red "My Account" box on the right side of the website. Select the "My Profile" button in that box. You should now be in the "Edit My Profile" page. Click the box to the right of "Username" and type the new username you would like to use. Scroll down the page and select the "Update" button.
- I forgot my password, what do I do now?
Go here and follow the instructions to get a new password.
- How can I change the email address on my profile?
Make sure that you are logged into Kovels.com. Click on the "My Account" tab at the top of the webpage. Click on "Edit My Profile." Look for "E-mail Address" on this screen and type in your new email address. After you have finished, click the blue "Update" button on the lower right side of the page.
- How do I make the text of Kovels.com bigger?
At the top right corner of the homepage, you'll see the words "Enlarge Text" and three differently sized A's to the right. To make the text larger, click on the largest A.
- I entered personal information when I registered. Will it be publicly displayed?
No, personal information such as your name and address will not be displayed for other members to see. However, if you have used your email address as your username and you post to the forum, Kovels.com users will be able to see your email address. If you prefer to use another username, you may change your username in the My Profile section of the site. Simply log in, go to My Account and then My Profile.
- What is the "Share" button on many Kovels.com pages?
The Share button allows you to share content from Kovels.com with other people through a variety of web services, such as Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, Reddit, and many more. For instance, you can quickly post links to Kovels.com articles on your Facebook profile using the Share button.
- I am getting an "Invalid Token" error when I login to Kovels.com. How do I fix this?
Use the back arrow on your browser and go back one page or refresh the page in your browser.
After you do this you should be logged in.
8. My question isn't answered here. Where else can I go?
Within almost every section of Kovels.com, you can find a detailed user's guide. For instance, there are guides to the Forum page, Community Calendar and Directory. You can also contact us at
- What do most people do when they're on Kovels.com?
Kovels.com is a great source for information about all kinds of antiques and collectibles. Many people use the price guide on Kovels.com to help them determine the prices of antiques and collectibles. Our premium features--seven years of our archived newsletters and a comprehensive dictionary of pottery & porcelain and silver marks-- are filled with valuable information for collectors. You can also find the latest collecting news and information in our free weekly ezine, Kovels Komments.
- Is it free to sign up for a Kovels.com account?
Yes it is. You can register here.
- Can I print selections from your price guide or other parts of the site?
Yes, you can--for your own personal use. But much of the information is copyrighted and cannot be reproduced for further distribution.
- Can you refer me to appraisers, dealers, antique shows, etc.?
The Kovels do not provide individual referrals or lists. But you can check our directory to see if there are any listings there that might help you.
- Can anyone post a directory listing?
Yes. Anyone can post a directory listing, and it's free. For a small fee, it is also possible to add additional text and images to your listing.
- Are the businesses in the directory listings endorsed by Kovels?
No, the businesses in the directory listing are not endorsed by Kovels.
- What is the Community Calendar? Who is it meant to serve? Where are the events?
The Community Calendar is designed to be used by all Kovels.com users. Anyone who has registered with us can post antique-related events taking place anywhere in the United States. If you are organizing an event or will be attending an event, please post it on the calendar so other Kovels users can learn about it! For more instructions on how to use the calendar, click here.
- My question isn't answered here. Where else can I go?
Within almost every section of Kovels.com, you can find a detailed user's guide. For instance, there are guides to the Forum page, Community Calendar and Directory. You can also contact us at Customer
- Where can I read Kovels experts' answers to readers' questions?
If you'd like to read our experts' answers to readers' questions about their antiques, read our Kovels Komments section, here; or for more depth, subscribe to our premium section.
- I can't access all of the content on Kovels.com. What's wrong?
If you aren't a Premium member or Premium Plus member, then you won't have access to all the premium information on Kovels.com. Visit this page to subscribe.
However, there is an abundance of quality content available on kovels.com for free. To access the free. To acesss the free information, make sure you are loged into the site. To log in, you must first register. Register here and confirm your registration in the email sent to your inbox.
- Is there somewhere I can go to discuss questions about antiques and collectibles?
Yes! Feel free to participate in discussions about all sorts of antiques and collectibles in our forum. It's free and you will find a wealth of knowledge. All you need to do to get started is register.
- How do I stop the weekly ezine, Kovels Komments, from being emailed to me?
Just click on the Unsubscribe link located at the end of each Kovels Komments. Or you can go to Kovels.com, log in, and click on the "My Account" tab. Once in your own account, you can uncheck your Kovels Komments subscription and manage other changes to your account. You can also go to the "Contact Us" link and unsubscribe from there.
- My main concern is that photos are not showing up when I go to print Kovels Komments or the digital newsletter.
We're sorry you're having difficulty printing photos in Kovels Komments (our ezine) or in Kovels on Antiques and Collectibles, our newsletter. The problem may involve the settings on your email reader. Please check your Options and see if there are image-blocking options you can change. Also, you may be able to see the pictures if you right-click on them. You should also follow the Whitelisting Instructions to be sure nothing is getting blocked by a spam filter. Another option is to print the issues from the files archived online. These files also contain all the photographs.
- Will the Marks database continue to be updated?
Yes, the Marks database will continue to be updated periodically.
- Where does your information on marks come from?
Information in our Marks database comes from Kovels' Dictionary of Marks, Kovels' New Dictionary of Marks, American Silver Marks and other publications.
- What should I do if I can't find my mark in your database?
If you can't find your mark in our database, submit the question to us. We may answer it in Collectors' Concerns or Mystery Marks in Kovels Komments and help you identify your antique. We reserve the right to use any of the marks sent to us and to include them in our database. See disclaimer.
- What if the mark on my plate looks very similar to one of the marks in your database, but not exactly the same?
Your plate was probably made by the same company. However, unless the mark is identical, you cannot use it to date your antique. Once you have identified a maker, you can sometimes find other sources to help you date your specific mark. Manufacturers that are still in business may even post information about their marks on their own websites.
- I live outside of the United States; can I still be a Premium or Premium Plus member on Kovels.com?
Yes, anyone in the world can be a Premium or Premium Plus member on Kovels.com.
- I don't understand the search box at the top of the page. How do you use it?
You can use the search box to search through all of Kovels.com. If you type a search word into the search box at the top of the page and then press the Search button, you will see results from ALL sections of the website.
If you are looking for a specific type of information, you can narrow your search to newsletter articles, the directory, the price guide, the store, or marks. For example, you might be interested in marks; you can use the Advanced Search function to search only marks. To the right of the Search button, click on Advanced Search. Select the white box to the left of Marks. Now when you type something into the Search box and press the Search button, all of the results will be from the Marks section of the site.
- How can I make my searches more specific?
The more search terms you put into your search, the more specific your results will be. If you're overwhelmed by the huge number of results that appear when you search, try adding more search terms or more specific search terms. For example, a search for "England plate" will probably return more results than "Warwick plate" and a search for "19th-century Warwick plate" will be even more specific. But be careful. Your search will only return results that contain the exact words you choose. So it's possible that there are examples of Warwick plates from the 19th century … but if they don't contain the words "19th century" in the article, they won't show up in your search for "19th century Warwick plate".
- Why don't you include pictures of all the items listed in the price guide?
We report on tens of thousands of items every year and post multiple years of our price guides. We gather the information from a variety of sources, and pictures are not always available. Still, the price guides offer hundreds of color photos in a variety of categories. In comparison, websites that are solely dedicated to selling antiques and collectibles MUST post pictures of all the items up for sale--and the prices shown are always asking prices, not the prices for which pieces actually sold. Nearly all of the prices in our guides are actual sale prices (a few are asking prices for pieces that may have sold for more or less than the asking prices).
- Why aren't my antiques listed in your price guides? Why do you list some items some years and not other years?
All prices and photographs in our annual price guide are new. Each annual guide is not a compilation of previous editions. All of the antiques and collectibles priced in our annual price guide were sold (or offered) in the American market that year. We report on items sold at auctions, shops, shows, or flea markets--including online shops and auctions. And we read dozens of antiques publications and review hundreds of auction catalogs. Even some categories can be listed one year and not the next. Listings depend on what happens every year--what sells and what doesn't.
- If a price in the price guide is more than a few years old, is it still relevant to me?
Yes. It shows you trends and also provides historical information on prices. That can be helpful in handling some legal situations, such as valuing items in an estate.
Do you have more questions about the Price Guide? Visit our Price Guide help section here.
- I am interested in buying an item listed in the price guide on your website. I'd like to see a picture. Where can I buy the item shown on the website?
The Kovels do not sell or buy antiques. They write about antiques in their monthly newsletter (available in print and in digital), in a syndicated newspaper column, and in books. The items listed on the website were sold at auction, shops, shows, or flea markets during the year noted in the listing.
- I just ordered the Kovels.com Premium subscription to your newsletter, "Kovels on Antiques and Collectibles," but I have decided that I prefer a print subscription. Can you switch my Premium subscription to the print subscription?
We're sorry, but we cannot switch your Premium subscription to the print subscription. We can, however, cancel your Premium subscription and place your order for a print subscription. If your Premium subscription payment has been processed, you will be issued a refund, but we cannot apply this refund to the print subscription. Print subscriptions take 4-6 weeks to process, so it will take about a month for you to receive your first issue.
- Can I get a hard copy of a download? I didn't realize that I have to print out my own copy.
We're sorry, but a "download" means you are purchasing a publication to download to your own computer to print or store as you choose. We cannot substitute a hard copy. If you are dissatisfied and would like the printed version, please contact customer service at
. But be aware that we do not sell printed versions of some downloads.
- I live outside of the United States; can I still be a Premium or Premium Plus member on Kovels.com?
Yes, anyone in the world can be a Premium or Premium Plus member on Kovels.com.
- Can I sell your books in my store? Can I purchase your books wholesale from you?
Yes, you can sell the Kovels' books in your store. We do not sell our books wholesale, but our publishers do. Please email your interest to
to obtain the contact information. We have two publishers, so please make sure you let us know which books you are interested in selling.
- Do you accept electronic payments?
No, we do not accept electronic payments at this time. We do accept credit card payments.
- Can I pay for the Kovels.com Premium access by check? I don't want to use my credit card online.
Our website is secure for credit card transactions, and our digital access is set up to handle only credit card payments. However, it is possible to pay by check. Send your payment to Kovels, 30799 Pinetree Rd., #305, Cleveland, OH 44124. However, if you pay by check you will not have access to your online subscription until we receive and process your check. That could take a few weeks.
- I received an invoice for a subscription, but I never ordered a subscription. I thought the sample issue was free.
The sample issue IS FREE. However, the sample issue request is a subscription offer. If you are not completely satisfied with your sample issue, and if you do not want to continue to receive more issues, you must return the invoice with the word "cancel" written on it. The sample issue is yours to keep. Our policy is to send only what a customer has ordered. And we never send anything unsolicited.
- I received an invoice, but I didn't receive my sample issue. I don't want to pay for something I haven't seen yet. What's going on?
Our policy is to send the sample issue first, with the invoice to follow, but occasionally the invoice arrives first. We certainly understand why you are concerned and apologize for the inconvenience. If you decide to continue with the subscription, please send your payment in only after you have had ample time to decide. If you decide that a subscription is not for you, just mark "cancel" on the invoice and return it in the envelope provided. The sample issue is yours to keep, no matter what you decide.
- I sent in my payment recently, but I just received an invoice. Did you get my payment?
It can take several weeks for your payment to be fully processed. More than likely, the invoice crossed in the mail with your payment. If you think too much time has passed and there has been an error, contact us at
. Please make sure that you provide your full address, including your zip code, with any print subscription inquiry.
- Can you tell me my expiration date?
Your expiration date is printed on the label of each newsletter you receive in the mail. Any changes to your subscription, including renewals, can take 4-6 weeks to go into effect. Please keep this in mind when checking the expiration date on your label.
- Can I submit a change of address?
Yes. You can easily make any address change for any of our publications by going to Kovels.com and clicking the "Contact Us" link on the top of the homepage. Each Kovel publication is listed there, and you can easily select "change of address." You also can easily change your website registration address by logging in and then clicking the "My Account" tab. For print products, please make sure you give both your full old address and your new address, including zip codes. For digital products, make sure you give your correct email address.
Please indicate if the change of address is for the newsletter, ezine, website registration, or Directory listing. Remember: Any change to your print subscription takes 4-6 weeks to go into effect.
- I live in another country and tried to order the free sample issue subscription online, but I couldn't.
The free sample issue subscription offer is not available outside of the United States. However, we do offer newsletter subscriptions outside of the U.S. You can order online by clicking on the "Store" tab and following the menu from there. You choose between the print subscription and digital access.
- I live at one address for six months of the year and at another address for the other six months. Can I submit dates for you to keep track of my addresses?
No. You must submit your change of address each time it changes. Remember to include your "old" address and your "new" address, with zip codes. Each change of address takes 4-6 weeks to go into effect. It is impossible for us to keep track of any subscribers' winter and summer addresses. It is your responsibility to keep us informed of your address changes.
- I just received a newsletter in the mail. I didn't order it. What's going on?
If you received a newsletter in the mail, then you or someone you know ordered it. The Kovels do not send the newsletter unsolicited. If you want us to cancel the subscription, please provide your full address and zip code to
or return the invoice with "cancel" written on it.
- I am a print subscriber and I just tried to access the Premium content of your website. Do I have to purchase something to do this?
Yes. Premium membership. At this time the only way to access the premium content of the website is to purchase our premium membership. It includes digital access to the newsletter, but it also gives you access to our newsletter archives: articles from several years of past issues, including interesting Q & A's about antiques and collectibles, sale reports, tips, warnings about fakes and reproductions, and pages and pages of prices. For an additional fee, you also get access to our Marks database.